March 14, 2018

A Family That Plays Together Stays Together...



For many people, board games represent a staple of family gatherings.
 Board games go back much further than many of us might think.
 The earliest ever recorded board game is "Senet",
 traces of which have been found as far back as 
3500 BC in predynastic Egypt.

 With five kids, we have owned a plethora of board games, old and new, over the years and they continue to be a fun pastime for our family!


 Here are a few of the "vintage" board games I have... 
I just love the artwork on the boxes and even some of the names.
Board games hold so much history and really reflect waht was happening
 at the time they were made!


The artwork on this box immediately tells you when this game came out...
the clothing...the hairstyles..I just love it! Circa 1968


This Bingo game advertises that it has "the new plastic number selector"
...that was something truly new and inventive at the time.


Of course the man is the executive and the woman the dutiful secretary...
in this "Junior Executive" 1960 game. Even the directions refer to "he" as
 it explains the way to play.


This Bingo was a little earlier then the other one 1959  
- no plastic selector here - all the playing pieces are cardboard


This 1969 game...truly shows the way the world was going 
heading towards the 70's...peace, love and psche paths!
 Even the colors of the playing pieces reflect the era.



Scrabble is a favorite in our family (Speed Scrabble to be exact). 
Scrabble is one of the most well-known letter crossword games.
 Earlier versions of it were created in the early 1930s, 
and the name Scrabble was trademarked in 1948. 

I have quite a few other games tucked away...
I am sure you do too.
What is a favorite board game you have enjoyed?


Happy Gaming,
Carrie

10 comments:

  1. Oh!
    I love this post!
    We love board games too!!!
    Peyton received Parcheesi this past Christmas, and we are enjoying it so much.
    Another we enjoy is Risk.
    Lately we are playing Family FEUD!
    Thanks for the smiles today. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed this post seeing the board games new and old. Played board games when the kids were home. Not so much any more. Have a blessed day. Madeline

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun. It is so good to see peeps still like to play board games together. Getting off the electronics does everyone good.
    Some of these board games bring back memories.
    Have a great rest of the week.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love old timey games and can't resist them when they are in my thrift store. Such fun....such good memories! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our grandkids love to play board games and will gladly give up the electronics to do it. I love your old games--those old graphics are fun to see. Hope you have a great Thursday- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't played a board game in so long! I remember how much fun I had playing them! Thanks for sharing Carrie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love to play games, too...and I even decorate the game room with old gameboards. I love the fun old graphics...just found one at the thrift store yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have a wonderful collection of vintage board games - love the 'skunk' game - haha! We always play 'Pictionary' with the family, because there are no limits to how many can play. Monopoly and Scrabble are favorites, too. xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. A few of those I've never heard of! We use to play Scrabble a lot along with Aggravation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had the Skunk game when I was little!
    Still love a good game of Scrabble.
    Playing games seems to have gone away
    like so many other things.

    My kids at school love playing games.
    Some of the new one are hilarious!!


    M : )

    ReplyDelete

It warms my heart to see you have taken the time to leave me a message here...If you are new here I will be sure to stop by and visit...and for my friends...I will pop over a see what you are doing too♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...