May 18, 2009

Confessions of an Organizing Junkie...

As you might suspect from my previous post...I love to organize and be organized!
I just feel that if everything has "a home" it is much easier to keep tidy and you can actually "use" what you have on hand! I find myself being more creative when I keep my space "together".

Since receiving so many awesome comments about my newly re-decorated space...I thought I would share a few of the simple & easy organizing tools that I used. Perhaps you can incorporate one of these ideas into your work area. I am sure you have some of the items I used right at home! I rarely go out and buy something new...I find containers & holders at garage sales and thrift stores. In fact most often they were originally meant for a different purpose. I have fun discovering alternate ways to use ordinary objects...
Even more fun would be for YOU to share an organizing tip with all of us...so leave a comment with your cool & creative idea ...and we can all do some "Spring Cleaning".


I use these cupcake tins to sort my flowers...I find bouquets and stems and cut off the blooms I want to use and toss the rest. Then I sort them by color and style.

This is a magnetic spice rack...found in the clearance section at Target for $4.00...Here is another Spice Rack...this one is a turntable style from Goodwill..only $1.99!
I used plain old curtain tension rods placed across my built-in bookshelves to hold my ribbons. Oh my goodness I just love this...they turn so easily and many times I have to grab several colors at one time so this works great! Doesn't it just make you want to start gift wrapping?Does your husband have a garage tool chest he is not using...go ahead and dump out those nails & screws and fill it up with goodies. (He'll never know...)I keep many of my die-cuts in here...by category of course. By the way... I couldn't live without (well of course I could) but I absolutely relish my label maker ( I must admit I have two)...you must get one if you don't have one already. I use it all around my house...one day I will show you my baking cupboard...it is "label heaven"! Now don't go turning me in to "Organizers Anonymous"...I haven't labeled my husband or kids yet...although that's not a bad idea....I forget their names often enough!
Don't feel you have to stick to Mason Jars for storage...I clean out pickle jars, mayonnaise, baby food...whatever...and use them all...To remove the labels Don't feel you have to stick to Mason Jars for storage...I clean out pickle jars, mayonnaise, baby food...whatever...and use them all...To remove the labels (that's crazy...now I am going to take the label off...) well I place the jar in the sink and let the hottest water run over it for several minutes...then I scrap off the label using a sponge with soap. That usually does the trick, but if the label doesn't come off all the way...I use either "Goo Gone", I try this first as it is more mild but if it is still stubborn, I take out the big guns..."Goof Off" (you practically need a gas mask for this one) but it works!
Big Cookie Jars are "way" fun...I find these turntables at thrift stores all the time. Typically used in the kitchen I use three of them in my craft room!
Well there's a few of my ideas...now tell us yours!

ONE MORE THING...My sister Diane at Saturday Finds is having a fabulous 100th Post Giveaway. Go visit her and sign up! Here is a sneak peek...
YOU GO GIRL!




37 comments:

  1. well you pretty much have this organzing thing down pat..I too use the turnabout from pampered chef for pens and scissors.I love vintage clear jars to store ribbons etc in as well..I am using a wooden box that I got from Joanns that has little rusty metal pull out draws, that is supposed to hold garden tools and it sits on my table with all my little things that I use all the time..scissors, felting tool/stuffing tools, wire cutter, and other misc items..I can stack stuff on it as well. thanks for the great tip on removing labels..I have a ton I need to remove..so will give it the old elbow grease and if it doesn't work..the goo gone...have a wonderful week..:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie I am so impressed.Everything looks so neat and organized!Wow I need you at my house! LOL Hope you have a great day Carrie! Blessings, Faye

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Carrie i have been called by my man as a neat and organizer wife too hehe:) I just love to organize my craft room very often depending on my mood sometimes:) I think the jars and containers are just so good for storage! I started to collect more and i love your label maker seem so easy and quick label will do nice neat and easy spot for my things! I must get myself one too:)

    Love your trip of organizing inspired me a lot to especially the idea od cupcake tins! I will follow hehe!

    xoxo
    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh...such great tips. I will use several. I will be changing spaces in a few months. I love your solution for ribbon storage. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at YOU! I only wish I could be as organized. Mine is an organized mess. ha.

    Great job and thank you for all of the tips.

    hugs,
    becky

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Carrie, awesome ideas....I love it!!!!

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow~ You are on the ball, girl!!
    everything looks great. I love the ribbons on the tension rods, great idea!
    Blessings~LillySue

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhhh thanks so much for sharing all these great ideas. I am seriously considering opening up an Etsy shop soon. All of these ideas will help very much.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the spice rack and tension rod ideas...so simple and so obvious, but I never thought of them!

    Xandra

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so right. It is just a matter how you look at it. Thank you for your words of wisdom!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for sharing all your handy tips...i love the ribbon holder idea...i love to be organized by i am afraid i am falling behind..i have always wanted one of those label makers...my problem is that i would have EVERYTHING labeled...have a wonderful week and just can't wait to see more of your creations now that everything is in it's right spot....xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow that is some organising!!!
    I am a neat freak too,
    I always say Cluttered house cluttered mind!
    But it is ard work to always keep everything neat and tidy!
    Here in Oz we have a shop called Plastics unlimited and I adore it as it has every kind of tub or container you'd ever want!
    Love your magnetic spice rack tho!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. I really need to learn a few things about organizing. It looks great and great ideas (o:

    ReplyDelete
  14. Carrie, thank you for giving us all those great suggestions. It has to work because your space is living proof. It looks so pretty in jars and containers. I'll keep my eyes open for some of those next time I'm thrifting also.

    Its so much more inspiring when everything is there at eye's view....Goo Gone is wonderful isn't it??
    Love it!
    thank you again..
    have a lovely evening
    Judi

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow..a girl after my own heart..now that is some AMAZING organization!!!
    sandy toe

    ReplyDelete
  16. I use to be organized and I still try to be but it is so easy for the house to run away from you.

    Guess where I'm going. That's right -- your sisters blog.

    Love Renee xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. YOU...have blessed my day today. I feel I should pay you a consulting fee. What great tips! Things that make so much sense but I never thought to do them. My favorite...the curtain rods for my many rolls of ribbon. Love that idea! Thanks for taking the time to share all of these tips. I like the way your organized mind thinks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oooooo I love!!! You are quite clever. Now if I could find some time to use even one of your great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love all your ideas!!!
    I LOVE organization, and my Dynamo...but my boys broke it. (!!)
    You are speaking my language!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Carrie, Thanks for visiting my blog.
    You must have a good imagination to be able to turn a bottle into something useful. I lack that talent !

    Have a great holiday weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Carrie, Thanks for visiting my blog.
    You must have a good imagination to be able to turn a bottle into something useful. I lack that talent !

    Have a great holiday weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've been organizing and reorganizing my scrap room. I think I finally have it. It takes forever and I like to know where everything is.

    Come vote in my poll.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  23. I really enjoyed this post. I love to see beautiful things all organized. It inspires me.

    ReplyDelete
  24. My first time here today. Nice to meet you! And thanks for your visit btw.

    WOW, your home is gorgeous, your a gal after my own heart, I'm one of those "organizing junkies" too. Everything has it's place and needs to return there after being used...LOL!!!

    My inlaws live in Portland, we come to visit all the time. My fave mall is "Washington Square"!

    ReplyDelete
  25. good ideas auntie!! Looks very organized...oh I wish I wish..ha ha one day I will have a space like that! That room must inspire you to get those creative juices flowing!!

    *by the way, I'll be shipping you your Etsy purchase ;)
    Love ya tons,
    Breezy
    The Pink Door

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Carrie,
    I also find storage items at the thrift store and baskets and boxes "call my Name"...plus jars...
    Have a great weekend.
    Warmly,
    Deb :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Carrie,
    Thank you so much for adding Connor to your prayer list!!! He is not doing well and I know that all prayers are appreciated!!!

    Have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend and thanks again!!!
    XOXO
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  28. Fantastic ideas...delightful blog. I am going to go out tomorrow and find myself a rod to hang all of my ribbons on...fabulous.

    Enjoy the Memorial Day Weekend!
    I'll be back often,
    Nerina

    ReplyDelete
  29. Verry inspirational, Carrie! Thanks! I don't have as many craft supplies as you do but I use lots of baskets but also tea cups to organize. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oops...lost my comment.. I said, my husband Pat was like you. SO organized and since I lost him my home has never been quite so organized! It takes an organized mind to do what you do and mine is like a ball of yarn a kitty has gotten hold of!
    ~smiles~
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  31. I have stumbled onto your blog, how, I'm not really sure, but reading a few of your posts, I have decided your studio is what craft heaven looks like. If I had a studio like that, I would have no reason to go outside, cook, garden, nothing. My family would have to beg me to come out of there! Thanks for the orgainizing tips. It gave me some ideas....

    ReplyDelete
  32. I am SO excited to find your blog! I have your sister's on my favorite list and saw a comment you made there. I am a organizing NUT so I think we have a lot in common! I am having fun looking at all your posts! Hope you visit me!

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a lovely layout. And some great storage ideas too.

    For getting labels off jars, I too soak in hot water and then use soapy sponge, but for the stubborn ones, I use nail polish remover or rubbing alcohol, and that seems to work just fine if you don't mind the smell.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great idea for the ribbon! I'm looking at a shelf right now that could use this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow...what wonderful organizing ideas...all of them! Now if I could just put some of them into action...or better yet...get you to come organize my stuff for me...I would know exactly where to find things.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love your organization photos and ideas. I wish I could keep my room as neat and tidy as yours. Mine has that "deep-in-the-eye-of-a-tornado" look, all of the time!
    Aloha!

    ReplyDelete

It warms my heart to see you have taken the time to leave me a message here...If you are new here I will be sure to stop by and visit...and for my friends...I will pop over a see what you are doing too♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...